Saint-Etienne, on the way to Mobility as a Service
Transdev Group operates Saint-Etienne transit system (STAS, France) and has been engaged for many years in a digital mobility policy, in partnership with the agglomeration of Saint Etienne Metropole and Cityway
The aim is to promote transportation services through a website, applications for smartphones and even an application for Apple Watch.
The overall objective is simple: ensure a real Mobility as a Service, from information to service access (sale of transit ticket, opening of parking gates, unlocking of bike from the bikeshare system…)
Saint-Etienne Area :
- 45 towns
- 400 000 inhabitants
- 600 km²
It’s a multimodal area:
- Public transports (STAS, TIL42)
- Self-service bicycles
- Car-sharing ….
Moovizy, new transit traveler app
In June and July 2016, the European Football Cup took place in France and in Saint Etienne area. In order to welcome visitors under the best conditions and to make their trips easier, the Metropole and the STAS network had the idea to develop an innovative application: Moovizy, 2016 innovation public transport awarder !
Challenges and objectives
- Insure a real-time multimodal information
- Inform of alternative trip solutions
- Make purchase of transit tickets easier
- Use innovative digital technologies, token of attractiveness and performance.
- Real-time Information and intermodal trip planner (bus, streetcar, train, plane, car, car park P+R, personal bike and bikeshare services…)
- Purchase, download and validation of transit tickets on smartphone ; P+R access via QR Code
Innovations and service improvements:
- All customer path is insured by the app: from trip plan search to the transit ticket purchase and validation process.
- All transportation modes are taken into account and optimized according to users’ preferences.
- Purchase of transit tickets is available 24/7, anywhere.
Future developments under construction
- Purchase of integrated fare tickets (multi-agency)
- Unlocking bikes from the bikeshare system
- Diffusion of informative message or advertisement from beacons (push notifications)
- Integration of taxi and ridesharing solutions within the trip plans
- Cityway Technical architecture is designed to manage and process million of data every day.
Project presentation video below:
One of the first transit system to have an Apple Watch App
As soon as Apple Watch arrived in France, the STAS network launched its Apple Watch App. This application enables new possibilities regarding connected information all along travels.
What is the interest of a transport app on Apple Watch ?
- Travelers’ needs and practices regarding information, purchase of tickets and travel help change. That’s why transport networks have to permanently adapt. In order to remain attractive, transit systems have to innovate!
- The app on Apple Watch developed for STAS enables to measure travelers’ interest for this kind of service / how travelers use it and their overall behaviour. This application can be deployed for any interested transit system.
- Nearby transit information:
- Thanks to geo-tracking, the app detects and offers the 4 closer stops: name, localization on the road map and distance in relation to user position.
- By selecting a bus stop, the user is immediately informed of the tome that the bus/tramway will arrive. By clicking on the road map, the app guides the user to the selected bus stop.
- Nearby points of interest information:
- Thanks to geo-tracking, the app detects and offer points of interest closed to the user during his travel: name, localization on the road and distance in relation to user position.
- By clicking on the road map, the app guides the user to the selected point.
- To use the STAS app on Apple Watch, users have to download the last version of Iphone app. The synchronization is automatically done between mobile and watch
- User has to keep his smartphone close to his watch; this is an apple special feature.
- Apple Watch is compatible with iPhone 5C and more and requires at least the 8.2 iOS version.